At Good Shepherd Catholic School, sound Catholic values within a strong academic structure is a way of life. We are a fully accredited school serving Garland and the surrounding area with quality education since 1954. Classes are offered for students in PK3 through 8th grade. Classes begin at 7:55 a.m. and are completed at 3:15 p.m. for PK through 3rd grades and 3:30 p.m. for students in 4th through 8th grades. After school care is provided until 6 p.m. Monday through Friday.
Our school offers a religious based curriculum that includes: religion, music, language arts, computers, math, social sciences, art, science various electives and physical education as well as the traditional classes.
Our small, family oriented school offers plenty of opportunities for teacher/student interaction and for parent involvement.
Our mission is to provide all students with a high quality Catholic Education that maximizes student success in a safe and supportive environment. Good Shepherd Catholic School will assist each student in achieving their full potential by involving the cooperation and commitment of the teachers, parents and children. Good Shepherd Catholic School students develop Christian values and academic skills which will enable them to become competitive and productive citizens.
Keeping in mind that parents are the primary educators of their children, we will work with the parents and prepare their children using a morally strong Christian foundation as the base, to meet the demands of life and deal with today’s problems in the hope of a better and brighter tomorrow. Recognizing our staff as our greatest asset, we will implement innovative approaches in pursuit of the best and brightest educators.
Cognizant of the dignity of each student as a child of God, the primary concern of Good Shepherd Catholic School is the development of the whole child in light of his spiritual destiny and his responsibility as a member of society. All members of the faculty welcome the opportunity to aid parents and the community in educating the child by fostering love of God, respect for oneself and others, belief in the teaching of the Roman Catholic Church and acceptance of the tenets of Christian morality.
The educational program is a continuous process of helping each student develop his or her potential, thereby gaining personal satisfaction and preparation to assume a role as a contributing member of society.
The ideal of educating the whole child permeates every school activity with emphasis on a developmental approach whereby teachers are sensitized to the spiritual, intellectual, social, and physical needs of each student.
Through a curriculum governed by religious ideals, needs of the students, and support of the parents, Good Shepherd School strives to achieve the following objectives:
- to offer religious instruction in such a way that it permeates the entire educational program, creating religion as a way of life;
- to provide a climate in which the individual can establish a good set of values, realize his own dignity, and confidently approach the task of solving his own problems;
- to help the individual and his parents evaluate his abilities, aptitudes, interests, and achievements through professional contact between teacher and parent;
- to assist the student in orienting and adjusting himself to the school, home, and community;
- to maintain a flexible curriculum by assisting the teachers in recognizing individual differences, awaking the desire to learn, improving study habits, and seeking wholesome personal goals;
- to promote aesthetic values and aid in the development of a sense of creativity and freedom of expression through the study of fine arts and humanities;
- to provide well regulated curricular and co-curricular activities which will aid in the total development of each student;
- to maintain a high level of curricular excellence and instructional competence in order to prepare each student to cope effectively with the requirements of the secondary schools and the demands of society; and
- to inculcate a sense of moral values which will enable the student to assume his place in the church and in society.
Good Shepherd is a fully accredited school.